Thursday 4 October 2012

My Sense Worth


04.10.12

So Generally I..
Watched the movie Sense and Sensibility on HBO this afternoon. That is probably the 20th time I watch the movie..or is it more? It’s a lengthy film..2 hours and 16 mins but it always had me glued to the screen..always.

A fan of British films (and recently, British soaps), I especially liked films of the olden days, or in this case..centuries.

I have been asked why I like watching the movie so much, and the answer is pretty simple..firstly, I like the dialogue…Emma Thompson as a screenwriter did really, really  well..secondly, I like looking and comparing the vintage fashion of those days.. there’s something about the way women wear their dresses in the old days that are just so appealing and thirdly, hey.. it’s a Jane Austen story. What’s not to like eh?

The film boasted an impressive cast who carried their respective roles well. I always thought each actor casted was perfect for the role they played. But the last few times I watched it, a few other thoughts have crossed my mind. Nothing that discredit the film though..nothing at all..You see, I consider myself a huge fan of Harry Potter movies, so watching Col. Brandon (Alan Rickman) rescuing Marianne from the horrid rain or reading a poem to her in the lazy afternoon sun, I can’t help picturing him as Snape and imagining him casting a deathly spell on John Willoughby for breaking Marianne’s heart. LOL..

Then there was Charlotte Palmer’s (Imelda Staunton) laughter and silly dialogues to her mother and husband….well put her in a pink modern dress suit and she becomes the Delores Umbridge with the evil giggle who likes to drink her tea with a potful of sugar. :) Its too bad though Hugh Grant was never casted as a wizard in Harry Potter (though I think he could easily replace Kenneth Branaugh (Prof Gilderoy Lockhart)..but then Emma Thompson was casted and she was cute as Sybil Trelawney.  .. 

Btw, JK Rowling has a new book out – the Casual Vacancy. In Singapore, a major bookstore chain is selling it at SGD49. Amazon Online is having a promo now, and it’s selling at only US$20.90 (or approx. SGD27). Click below to get more info.









Following the Planetary Dots..
I’m starting to monitor the weather for the countries I’m visiting. First up – Paris..this week’s weather is dropping to an average of 15 degrees C..and it’s only October. The coldest I have experience was 3 degrees in London.

My self learning of the French is taking as little setback, due to a busy week doing other pressing tasks. The good news is I found French channel on my cable box – TV Monde..so I am feeling for encouraged. I’m definitely tackling that French for Dummies book next week.

Show Me The Money..
Im reinstating the link here again in case anyone is looking to read more on the My-Data-Team programme.

1 comment: